Craig Goeschel – Lifechurch.tv
A leader must discern what unique DNA they have. Are you trying to do things you’re not gifted for?
What’s the best expression of reaching people that YOU can do.
IT is something special of God that is very real.
We don’t need all these things we think we need to do church.
What is that intangible IT? Yes, it’s the Spirit of God. But it say that other places don’t have the Spirit is untrue.
IT is a special working of the Spirit through special people.
What’s IT? Don’t know. 🙂
But I believe God makes IT happen.
I believe it is from God, by God, for God’s glory.
We can’t create IT. We can’t reproduce or manufacture IT.
It is rare that one person will bring IT.
It is common for the wrong person to kill IT.
IT can’t be taught. But it can be caught..
It’s not a system or model. It’s not a seeker-sensitive, purpose-driven, or emergent deal.
But IT can be found in all those models, or sometimes it isn’t.
Wherever you see IT, you see transformed lives.
IT attracts critics. If you have it, people will shoot at it.
But often it’s doesn’t.
Bad news is if you have IT, doesn’t mean you’ll keep IT.
Good news is that if you don’t have IT, doesn’t mean you can’t find IT.
1. Organizations that have IT, have a laser focus
- incredibly focused
- one church has 287 ministries – how can you do any of them well?
- We think more ministries = better, should be better ministries = better ministries
- What can you be the very best at?
- In order to reach people that no one is reaching, you’ll have to do things that no one is doing.
- You can’t do what everyone else is doing.
- We need a little bit of planned abandonment.
- We need a few ministries that God has uniquely created.
- Which ministries are producing mature disciples?
- What could we best do to lead people to become fully devoted followers of Christ?
- LifeChurch.tv cut everything but weekend worship experiences, small groups, kids ministry, student ministries & mission
- Gave them margin & resources to do things no one else is doing
- What are you doing that you need to stop doing?
2. Organizations that have IT, see opportunities where others see obstacles.
- Many times we believe we don’t ever have enough
- We have everything we need to everything that God wants you to do
- Some people think God guides by what God provides. But God provides by what God doesn’t provide.
- What is God trying to show you through your greatest limitation?
3. Organizations that have IT, are willing to fail.
- We think failure is not an option. That’s right. Failure is a necessity.
- Failure is the first step into seeing God
- Peter failed, tried to walk on water, experienced God
- God may be giving you a vision. There will probably be 3 steps of failure until you get there
- Story of people trying to get mule out of hole in the ground. Couldn’t pull him out. So they started dumping dirt on the mule to bury him. The mule didn’t like that and started shaking off the dirt. They kept doing it and the mule kept shaking off the dirt. He realized the dirt was building up underneath him. So the mule kept shaking off dirt and stepping up. Shake it off and step up.
- Shake off failure.
- You are not what others say you are. You are not a failure. You have everything you need.
- What has God called you to do that you’re afraid to attempt?
- When are you going to do it?
4. Organizations that have IT, are led by people who have IT.
- You need to have IT for your ministry to get IT
- You are freely saved by grace, not your WORKS
- God – I’ll go anywhere, anytime.
- For Craig – ministry started to kill IT. It became more about what will bring people in instead of what will bring glory to God.
- When you have IT in your heart, you get it out there
- When you have IT, it draws people
- You can start to trust what you see out there (sermons, resources, budgets, etc.)
- We start to acquire the very things that are unnecessary to have it
- He had become a full-time pastor and a part-time follower of Christ
- You’ve become more about your ministry than about God’s kingdom
It might be time to let God break your heart again.
IT hurts deeply, you’re never satisfied. But as much as IT hurts, you can’t get enough of it.
May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths and superficial relationships. May God give you tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn your pain into joy. May God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in the world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done.